TRANSLATOR'S ANNOUNCEMENT BOARD

Hey lovelies! I will come back with more exciting novels soon. As of now, don't forget to share my projects that you loved to other readers. Enjoy reading!

Old Wounds, New Growth - Chapter 21. 1

Translator: Deyonna


The incident naturally caused quite a stir.

Even when Li Chishu and I were having lunch in the cafeteria, we could hear people nearby discussing the incident.

Li Chishu absentmindedly picked at the fruit, hesitating several times before speaking. "How about I go talk to the teacher…"

"Li Chishu," I helped him spread the prepared caviar onto half a croissant, "Last night, you were in the classroom for three hours, working on the comprehensive science test until 10:30 PM when the school building lights were turned off, and then you returned to the dormitory. What happened in the junior school department during that time. You knew nothing about it. Do you understand?"

This was the third time I interrupted him.

Li Chishu took the croissant from me, remained silent for a few seconds, and then whispered, "I understand."

Seeing him holding the bread without taking a bite, I guessed that his stubbornness was rising again. So I simply held the bread closer to his mouth, and Li Chishu reluctantly took a bite.

"Is it delicious?" I asked.

He nodded absentmindedly.

"Xiaobao," I suddenly called out to him, and Li Chishu's chewing visibly paused. I continued to spread the sauce on his bread without changing my expression, and said, "I'm not disrespecting your thoughts by doing this. It's just that right now, you're a bit naïve. If the teacher asks, you'll stutter and confess everything, which is not the best solution. Although it's said that people shouldn't lie, it's not us who are in the wrong in this matter, and special circumstances require special handling. But since you don't know how to handle it, I'll do it for you. I'm just helping you find another way for the teacher to understand us and bring this matter back to fairness itself. So, will you listen to me, okay?"

Li Chishu remained quiet for a while, not saying a word. However, he calmly took the croissant from my hand and started eating it bite by bite.

I gently touched his hair, and then my hand slid down to pinch his earlobe. "Finish eating breakfast and go back to the dormitory for a nap."

"…En."

-

When I was carrying an insulation box back to my classroom, the homeroom teacher was indeed waiting at the door for a long time.

"Shen Baoshan," he called me indifferently, using the intimidating gaze that senior high school teachers often use, "Come over here for a bit."

I obediently followed what he said and walked over to him.

After all, I'm a young man in my thirties. In terms of age, the homeroom teacher is actually two or three years younger than me. No matter how wrong I was, it's true that Li Chishu was treated unfairly, but I also caused unnecessary trouble for my homeroom teacher because of him. I'm not a 17 or 18-year-old boy anymore, always acting arrogant and unapologetic when I make mistakes. So when he sat down in his chair, looked up, and asked me if I was the one responsible for last night's incident, I honestly and briefly said, "Yes."

Since I had already confessed under the surveillance camera, it would be unnecessary to deny it at this point.

He asked me, "Are there any other people involved?"

"No."

"No?" The corners of his lips curled down. "Who were you calling in the surveillance footage?"

I didn't answer, but instead asked, "Did the surveillance capture anyone else?"

"......" He changed the subject. "Why did you do this?"

I glanced towards the back where I was standing—Li Chishu's homeroom teacher was also sitting in the office. She was a new math teacher who was short and thin. She didn't talk much, but because Class 25 was the first group of students she had handled, this teacher was known in the grade for being responsible and caring. Whenever Li Chishu mentioned his homeroom teacher to me after all these years, he always had a nostalgic look on his face. "That teacher was really good. Many times when there were issues in the class, she would take extra care of me."

I asked the homeroom teacher, "Do you know whose family matters are mentioned in the newspaper I posted?"

He also glanced behind me and lowered his voice slightly. "I know."

It's impossible for them not to know. Even if the composition didn't mention any names, and even the black-and-white photo in the newspaper looks completely different from the current Li Chishu. They must also know. Yesterday, I clearly shouted "Li Chishu" under the surveillance camera. Based on this alone, along with Li Chishu's well-known family situation among the teaching staff, they should be able to quickly deduce who the unseen protagonist of this storm is.

Li Chishu's homeroom teacher seemed to be bowing her head, preparing a lesson plan, but the pen in her hand didn't touch the paper.

"Then don't you understand why I did this?" I said to the person in front of me. "I'm just trying to clarify a fact."

He was clearly angered by my words, and his fingers tapped the table twice. "Is it your turn to make the decision for him in his family's affairs?! You're standing up for him?! What relationship do you have with him?! Are you his father or mother? You can't even get your own affairs sorted out!"

"His father and mother are both dead!" I slammed my hand on the table, raising my voice along with his. The sound was enough to penetrate the walls and closed iron doors, reaching the ears of everyone in the corridor.

I leaned forward slightly towards him, sitting on the chair, and looked him in the eyes. "If I don't stand up for him, who will?"

His lips twitched stiffly, and his eyes stared straight at me. The pale color of his face showed both anger at not being able to come up with a rebuttal and embarrassment of losing face in front of other teachers.

"As for my relationship with Li Chishu, whatever you think it is, is what it is."

After saying this, I took a step back, lowered my eyes, and returned to the attitude of a student admitting their mistake in front of a teacher. "I know that my actions were too impulsive. Even if I wanted to stand up for him, I shouldn't have acted in that way. It has caused a great impact on the entire class and on you. You don't need to speak on my behalf to the school. I will handle it myself. If it cannot be resolved, I will transfer my records elsewhere when I graduate. As for the junior high school department, if any parents want to cause trouble, please convey this for me - they should directly call Li Chishu for confrontation."

I found a pen on the table and wrote down my number on the teacher's notebook. "This is Li Chishu's phone number. As for other matters, I will discuss them with my family and try to minimize the burden on your side."

At this point, it was clear that he understood that he could wash his hands of this matter. He didn't say anything further and waved his hand, permitting me to leave.

As I passed by the desk of the homeroom teacher of Class 25, someone tapped me on the back. I glanced sideways and briefly made eye contact with Li Chishu's homeroom teacher, then I quickly walked out of the office.

The winter sun sets very quickly. Just before I entered the building, the setting sun only reached the lower floors of the school building. But when I came out, the golden glow of dusk had already spread across the white walls of the corridor.

Li Chishu was holding a small notebook and leaning against the balcony. I'm not sure how long he had been waiting for me. 

As soon as I came out, he straightened his back away from the wall and silently looked at me, but his eyes seemed to be filled with unspoken words.

"Why didn't you go back to the classroom and sit down?" I walked up to him and gently covered his ears, that were blown red by the wind. "Are you cold?"

He shook his head.

"Did you hear everything?" I asked.

Li Chishu nodded lightly.

"Don't worry," I said, "the parents of that student won't dare to come looking for you."

Anyone who wants face[1] wouldn't dare to confront Li Chishu.

[1]Image preservation

I suddenly remembered that I had a small box of soy milk in my bag that I bought for him. So I took it out, opened the straw for him, and said, "Even if they come, they'll have to get past me first."

Li Chishu silently took the soy milk from me, looked up and said, "I'll take you somewhere."

"Now?" I turned my head to glance at the slightly ajar office door. "We have one more hour before self-study."

He was very serious. "Just this once. The teacher won't mind."

I looked at him meaningfully, then leaned closer, and asked, "Where do you want to take me?"

His dark eyes met mine without wavering, and a faint curve formed at the corner of his lips as he said, "My home."



Comments

UPDATING SCHEDULE

UPDATING SCHEDULE

For website errors, missing chapters and broken links, please use this form to inform the site owner

Name

Email *

Message *